Well, this post is long over-due. I made this for dinner weeks ago, but alas, I am writing about it now. The original recipe can be found at BettyCrocker.com, and it is actually titled “Healthified Chicken Tortilla Cassserole.” In other words, if you want the healthier version, go there. If you have more respect for food than that…read on.
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can (4.5 oz.) chopped green chiles
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk (This is the only “healthy” ingredient I used because this happens to be the kind of milk we drink.)
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 8 yellow corn tortillas (6 or 7 inch) torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Heat oven to 350*. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, mix soup, chiles, sour cream, and milk until blended.
3. Stir in chicken, tortillas, and bell pepper.
4. Stir in tomato and 1 cup of the cheese.
5. Spoon and spread mixture in baking dish.
6. Cover with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake uncovered 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes.
Now, I will be honest. This was good, but it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting….though, I’m not exactly sure what that was. I’m wondering if I need to tweak the recipe or what I could possibly do differently. If you try this recipe, I’d love to hear your thoughts!